Number 3: Been in a Hockey Fight…

So right after everyone seemed to be doing the Omnivore 100 meme, another one came out. This time about things that you had done in your life. Number 3….”Been apart of a hockey fight”. Several people when filling that out commented that they were interested in knowing how I would answer that question. So here ya go.
First off that question is vague. Hockey fight at a game where I was a fan or one in a game I played? For today’s story we shall focus on the latter. Yes, I have been in a hockey fight, two for that matter, and both with boys. I of course can not say a man, because no man would hit a woman, but onward with the story.
Fight number one I lost. I am playing. I score a goal. The next thing you know I was tackled by a very large man. He started pounding my head into the ice. I kept waiting for the referees to step in but they didn’t seem to (wimps). So, I threw off my one glove (since my other arm was pinned down beneath me) and I started punching. He wasn’t wearing a cage or shield so everything on his face was fair game. Meanwhile he kept beating me down. The refs finally came over and broke it up. I broke his nose, but he gave me a mild concussion and had me pinned the whole time so I consider him the victor of the fight.
Fight number two I won.  All night this guy was insulting me and so in return I paid the favor. After two periods of being jerks to each other. He was pushing on me and said, “ya wanna go”? I asked him “do you really want to get your ass kicked in front of God and every one by a girl?” That threw him off a bit. He shouted let’s go and threw down his gloves. I took off my helmet and gloves as well. I threw up my left arm as if to punch him. I noticed he was staring at that and so I gave him an upper cut to the jaw with my right hand. And down he went. In front of God and every one, he got his ass kicked by a girl. He laid there for quite sometime. Eventually getting up. He said nothing to me. Never said one thing to me the next time we played them as well. In fact, never again.
It’s a good time to bring this up since preseason hockey is just around the corner, in about two weeks to be exact. Then before you know it, October 4th will be here and regular season play will be on it’s way. Yes, everyone, the greatest time of year is approaching….Fall. Fall when I get to bake whenever I want without sweating. When my days can be occupied with watching hockey (and swearing at the TV screen). Watching the trees undergo a metamorphosis from lush greens to a rustic reds and glowing golds. And I get to eat all the foods I love…pumpkin being at the top of the list. Now, you can get canned pumpkin year round. But there is something about Fall that makes pumpkin just taste better.
I had been working on this idea for this bread in my head for awhile. And after a week of experimenting I finally got it where I wanted it. So you reap the benefits of my labor.
If you are allergic to nuts you can very easily leave them out. Also, if you are not a fan of maple (shudder) you can leave out the maple syrup and extract and just add vanilla.
So what have we learned here today boys and girls? Best not to mess with Peabody, as she may hit you. :P

Pumpkin Spice Bread with Maple Cheesecake Layer

Ingredients

• Maple Cheesecake Layer:
  • 9 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 6 tsp real maple syrup (I use grade B)
  • 1 tsp maple extract
  • 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
  • 1 large egg
  • Pumpkin Spice Bread:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ tsp fresh ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree(plain, not the already made pumpkin pie kind)
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 325F.
  2. Lightly grease and flour three mini loaf pans. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the maple cheesecake ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
  4. Place pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl of an electric stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat for about 1 minute, until fully combined
  5. Add flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture and mix just until combined.
  6. Fold in the pecans.
  7. Pour half of the pumpkin bread batter evenly into the three prepared loaf pans. Spoon cream cheese mixture on top of pumpkin batter layer and then pour on the remaining pumpkin batter.
  8. Bake in preheated 325° oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
  9. Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes.
  10. Remove bread from pans and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
  11. Serve at room temperature or cool.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

1. Great story! Now I’m beginning to see what my husband likes about hockey — he would be on your side, for sure!

2. Oh my goodness gracious. That bread looks amazing. You are a genius. And FIERCE. I had a good chuckle at your story. I love it!

3. Perfect. Bread looks perfect. This one’s a winner.

4. wow, you’re so creative. i love the sound of this, as pumpkin and cream cheese and always so good :)

5. Pumpkin is my very favorite flavor and, well, who doesn’t like cheesecake? This has just been bumped to the top of my must list!

6. WILL YOU MARRY ME???

7. You crack me up. How on earth you managed to successfully segue from bloodcurling violence to talking about pumpkin and cheesecake bread, I’ll never know. I bow down to your brilliance.. but then again, of course I would, because you might beat me up if I didnt..;D

8. Okay I will just, like, ah, admire your food (from afar). Just kidding. You go girl. Love the uppercut!

We had this little Puerto Rican woman just win a big fight here in Rochester. Love the piss and vinegar she has. Single mom with four kids. GIRL POWER!

9. This is one of my favorite posts of all times and not just because of the pumpkin!

10. That bread looks fantastic and so different. I want to try that one!!!!

11. Now that came out perfect. I’ve tried this, adding cream cheese to a fruit bread mix (in a bundt pan) and the cream cheese melted into the batter. But I think I should try a bread pan, not a bundt pan next.
    Awesome photo girl!

12. i liked the idea of the cake.

13. oh this looks so so good. I’llmake it for sure as soon a

14. oh this looks so so good. I’llmake it for sure as soon as the weather will feel slighty more autumn-ish.
    xx fanny

15. Oh wow. Yes I HAVE to make that!!

16. lesson learned. I love hockey season. my husband played for the Philadelphia Phantoms for a few years after college, and the fans got more excited about the fights than they did about the goals.

This cake looks incredibly moist and delicious.

17. You are awesome!

18. Jeez, peabody. How’d your knuckles feel after that uppercut? I’m still wincing. May need some of that droolworthy pumpkin cheesy mapley cakey yumminess you have there. I’m thinking it could mail okay, right?

19. Amazing how some guys just don’t understand that some women are tough…like you are!
    The pumpkin bread is awesome, especially with the maple cheesecake in the middle. Another must try!

20. Carole Resnick says:

I made this today but instead of making 3 mini loves I made 1 9-inch bundt. The kitchen smelled so good while it was baking and cooling. This is a keeper.

I may tr it with mashed sweet potatoes.

21. that is one ridiculous story and an even crazier dessert – I love them BOTH!
    I was never a fan of hockey until I got to Cornell, then everything changed… those games were sweet!!

22. HeartofGlass21 says:

So, what is the ‘best celebrity death match’–Sarah Palin versus Peabody, or Sean Avery (formerly of the NY Rangers) versus Peabody ;)

23. You can certainly stick up for yourself. Remind me never to upset you!
    The pumpkin spice cake looks fab and the cheesecake layer!! – mmmmm

24. Peabody kicks ass!!! Nice.

25. Mmmmn, maple…I’m addicted to maple right now!

26. Hmm I need to make something with pumpkin! That looks yummy! Thanks for stopping at my blog and making me feel better about my “quality control” precedures. ;)

27. That maple cheesecake layer looks way too good! Your desserts are always the best!

28. This bread looks great! I always stockpile cans of pumpkin around the holidays for pumpkin bread and muffins. I usually make chocolate chip pumpkin bread, but I will definitely be giving this recipe a try.

29. That looks so cool and yummy!

30. I have never tasted anything like this bread. it is such a lovely way to start autumn baking.

31. Love the results! If I ever try this I just know it’s going to be a disaster. Gotta get some confidence :)

32. Holy crap! You are tough. I find fights in hockey kind of fascinating. It’s pretty despicable that a guy would give a woman a concussion in the name of a game (I know, I’m minimizing hockey). The uniform, mixed in with competition, seems to blind an opponent to the person who wears it.

You’ve been awarded!

33. You know I loved this post. And I loved that the dude said (in essence) “Why yes, I do want to get my ass kicked by a girl in front of God and everyone.” ha ha ha! Go girl. You are badass. Last time I got punched in the face by a guy was 8th grade. That doesn’t mean I don’t size up every guy I meet (to determine if I can take him out if necessary). Rock on!

34. LOve your story about your meeting – very nice! As well this bread rocks – adding to my recipe file now! I love this for fall!

35. **Jennifer** says:

I baked this yesterday. Instead of mini loaf pans, I just used one regular sized bundt pan. My husband, who does NOT like pumpkin, said it was the best cake I ever baked – we’ve only got about 3-4 slices left after a little over 24 hours of making this.

TWO THUMBS UP – thanks for the recipe!

36. Looks awesome. I love pumpkin. We are all about the pumpkin at our restaurant right now!!

37. I finally got around to trying your recipe and it is so delicious! This might replace my harvest muffins (pumpkin chocolate chip) as the dish I make to celebrate the arrival of fall every year!

38. I made this bread and it was moist and delicious! I gave a loaf to my roommates another loaf to co-workers and I brought a loaf to my boyfriend’s parent’s house. So yummy and really nice with a cup of coffee. Thank you Peabody for sharing!

39. I made this loaf a while back leaving out the cream cheese layer…if I had remembered to add the sugar to the recipe I’m sure it would have been lovely. Wow, to be so excited to take a bite of that dried out looking loaf of poop only to find out that the most important ingredient isn’t there! Perhaps next time I will do it properly? LOL.

40. I made this, and it was yummy, but perhaps you could state the size of the pans you use(d). I used three mini-loaf pans — and got baked-on black goo all over the bottom of my over from the overflow. Also, my cream cheese layer was very thin, not like the one you have pictured

41. mrsblocko says:

Susan and i must have the same size mini pans because mine over flowed as well. Luckily i put them on a cookie sheet at the last minute. my cream cheese layer was also thin. this may be because i mixed it by hand. I dont have a stand mixer, but next time i make it I will use the hand mixer to get more volume. the end result was very tasty though! I will try this again using 4 mini loaves. thank you for the recipe!

42. Hi Peabody,

I made this tonight and it was delicious, but I have an odd question. I followed ingredients to a “T,” but my maple cheesecake layer was more brown than white and did the strangest thing – it sunk into the loaf itself so that there pretty much was no cheesecake layer. Any ideas?

43. I’m so glad other people had the same problems as I did! I thought I was going crazy. I tried this recipe twice, thinking I had just done something terribly wrong the first time. My cream cheese layer was way, way too runny. And brown. And whatever mini-loaf pan you used must have been way larger than mine, because they were overflowing. The second time I tried the recipe I made 4 very large loaves.

My question is: are you sure you don’t mean 3 TEASPOONS of maple syrup? The cream cheese layer was a bit too sweet and runny, so I’m wondering if that’s the problem.

Love the recipe… very tasty… just sad that it did not turn out how yours did.

44. Do you think it would be okay to make this with 8 oz of cream cheese? I buy them in 8 oz bricks so hopefully your answer is yes… =)

45. He he so its fall and we are starting all over again. Time to bake pumpkin bread but not just any old pumpkin bread, right?
    AmyRuth

46. I just made this. Not only is it incredibly easy, but so fantastic with that cheescake layer. Thank you so much for the recipe!!

47. new2natural says:

This bread was delicious! Took it over my friend’s house and she and her mom loved it! Will get my BF’s approval too I’m sure!

48. I just wanted you to know that this has become one of my absolute favorite yearly fall treats. Such a great recipe. xxo

49. moriah gwinn says:

I tried to make this and it turned out terrible! The bread was hard and it just was not good. I have a much better and easier rescipe I will stick to.

50. Will try this one after I get back from MI. Looks awesome.

Trackbacks