The secret life of buttercream…

There is a saying about people live three lives: their public life, their private life, and their secret life. I’m here to talk about adding a subclass to the public life: their Facebook/Pinterest life. I am not immune to this at all. I mean if people only followed me on Pinterest they would have expected me to show up to the conference in a Burberry trench coat and Louboutin heels. But what they got was a tennis shoe wearing gal dressed out in jeans and a hoodie…and oh yeah an Optimus Prime t-shirt (I’m more than meets the eye :P ).

I’m not really talking about the surface stuff. Surely I don’t believe that people who pin the 400 square foot laundry room with miles of shelves and a sink in it are planning a redo of their home anytime soon to add that. They just WISH they had that. Who doesn’t? Well, really if we are wishing, I wish to have someone just come do my laundry…screw having a nice laundry room. :D

I’m talking more about the people who post stuff about “treat people as you want to be treated” but they are the biggest bitch or a-hole I know. Or “Let it Go” and yet they are the ones that whenever you are around them are still DWELLING on what they should be letting go of. They are the people that post about what a great mom they are. If you have to tell people you are…or you are fishing for people to tell you that you are…you probably are not. Or posting a picture of your mom hugging you for Mother’s Day and say “you’re the best mom” but I know that you can’t stand your mom and that she abandoned you as a child and didn’t see you for 6 years and you went to therapy for 10 years for that. And when I say why do you have a picture of you and your mom up and you say well I don’t want people to think bad of me for not liking my mom. Ugh.
I guess those are all like the laundry room…you WISH that is what your life was like.

Don’t worry what people think. If they don’t like the real you and you only have 4 friends in the whole world than at least those are 4 friends that actually like the REAL you. That’s way better than 532 Facebook friends. I’m going to get all Oprah on you and tell you to live your authentic life. Not your Facebook life.

And then I am going to go all Peabody on you and tell you to eat more buttercream frosting. Which goes along nicely with today’s Day 2 of Birthday Celebrating. I’m giving away the much used disposable piping bags. These make things way easier if you ask me as I am lazy and hate washing out the pastry bag. If you would like to win Wilton 100-Pack Disposable Decorating Bags 12inch then simply leave a comment telling me what your favorite frosting of all time is. Same rules apply: Live in the US. You have until Tuesday June 19th 2012 at noon PST to enter. I will announce winners for all 7 prizes on Wednesday June 20th 2012. Good luck.

Chocolate Caramel Buttercream

1 cup unsalted butter
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup caramel sauce (I used Fran’s because it’s awesome)
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
4-5 cups powdered sugar

Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream together (on medium speed) butter and 1 cup powdered sugar until smooth.

Add cocoa powder, caramel sauce, and melted chocolate to the mixer and beat on low speed at first so as not to have cocoa powder all over you. Then move speed up to medium and make sure all ingredients are incorporated and frosting is smooth.

Add the remaining powdered sugar a ½ cup at a time until you reach desired consistency.

Pipe or spread onto your cooled cupcake or cake and throw on some Rolos for extra chocolate and caramel.

Comments

1. My favorite frosting of all time is Fresh Raspberry Buttercream, or Nutella Buttercream with Caramel drizzled on top.

2. I like the inspirational things that you post, they are consistent with who you are. (Ok, I’ve only met you twice I think!) I hate the fitness ones that are so eating disorder-like. I’ve had an eating disorder and it isn’t something to stive towards!

I just post recipes on pinterest, so not much that’s surprising there.

3. And I’m going to say that Nutella buttercream is likely my favorite, but I like the strawberry buttercream that you’ve posted, too.

4. Denise B says:

Our favorite frosting is buttercream with almond flavor

5. Ooh chocolate caramel is definitely a good combo! I think my current favorite is just plain chocolate, paired with yellow cake.

6. I’ve only used piping bags a few times, but I bet disposable ones would be fun to play around with!

Also, this frosting looks incredible.

7. Rebecca says:

Peanut butter buttercream!

8. Oh, I’m going to have to make this for my pregnant sis-in-law, she’d dive in and swim in that. And you’re absolutely right, I hate washing out pastry bags too. I occasionally go through and cull my pins and FB lists, now that you bring it up, it’s a good time to do so. :D

9. definitely Bailey’s frosting!! I have an emergency stash in my freezer in case I need to fill a few cookies.

10. Peabody – Love your blog and find your attitude refreshing. Although I love the combination of Chocolate and Caramel (especially with a Rolo on top), this is my favorite Chocolate Buttercream recipe…
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar

Preparation:
    Melt chocolate chips with butter gently in the microwave (about 10 seconds with a stir at a time). Cool slightly if necessary; stir in sour cream, vanilla, and salt. Slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar until desired spreading consistency is reached.

11. Salted caramel. Yum.

12. Any buttercream, except plain, will do. But, if pushed I’d probably say Raspberry buttercream on lemon cake. Yum!

13. My favorite is anything with cream cheese. I’m still trying to learn how to use piping bags (not very successful!).

14. Megan Sullivan says:

My all time favorite is a mint buttercream or maybe cream cheese frosting. Either one is delicious!

15. Real buttercream – Swiss meringue buttercream? Preferably a simple vanilla, lemon, salted caramel, or chocolate. Afterall, my wedding cake did have 4 different layers with different buttercream fillings, 3 of which had some sort of alcohol. I don’t discriminate when it comes to frosting!

16. What a difficult question… I am going with peanut butter cream cheese frosting, though I love most types!

17. My favorite buttercream is a fluffy refreshing lemon buttercream :)

18. Jessica A says:

First of all, Happy Birthaversary!
    Second, awesome outlook. I totally agree. I had a friend who was soooo negative and mean (especially their partner) that I just cut ties with them. And people don’t get it. I’m done with the negativity!
    Lastly, I love, love, love Christmas spiced buttercream – just add in some cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves and you’ve got a yummy, spicy buttercream that goes great with gingerbread cake.

19. This post made me laugh, because it’s so true! I pin things I’d love… if money were no object!

Favorite frosting would have to be an almond vanilla cream cheese frosting I’ve made a few times… hard to stop licking the spoon!

20. Alissa G. says:

Happy Blogiversary!!!!

Love the post! How very true! I’m done with the drama and negativity too.

Oye, favorite frosting. I’m a frosting gal. I love cream cheese, I love buttercream, I love my creme brulee frosting, nothing like a perfect frosting.

21. Cheers to authenticity!!

22. I love this post. Everyone needs more buttercream in their life! My favorite has to be raspberry buttercream frosting with a lemon cake. Fruity and delicious!

23. Plain buttercream frosting (on my grandma’s sugar cookies!)

24. I think my favorite is cream cheese frosting but I love any butter cream frostings to. This one looks yummy too. Happy blog-Birthday.

25. Samantha says:

Really fudgy chocolate frosting is the way to go with me.

Great post. =)

26. I’m not sure what to call it. It’s a cooked buttercream I guess. Flour & milk cooked until thick. Cooled and beaten with butter and sugar and vanilla. Yum!

27. I just love chocolate. chocolate buttercream, chocolate cream cheese, chocolate ganache…no discriminating. If it’s chocolate, I love it. However, since I’ve discovered Nutella buttercream, it’s been life-changing! Yummmmm

28. As a kid, mom would make a double batch of vanilla buttercream. Half to frost whatever she baked…some for graham cracker sandwiches (served cold with ice cold milk, later)and the rest for me to eat, right there and then.And then dad would come home from work and I would be squirrely crazy from my sugar high.I learned 30 years later, it was pay back for something he had “forgotten” to do the weekend before. :)

29. Brooke D says:

I have a recipe for an incredible peanut butter frosting that’s the best I’ve ever had!

30. Jeez… really? I have to pick one favorite???? It’s either chocolate or vanilla. I know that might sound boring, but how satisfying is a perfect spoonful of vanilla buttercream fresh out of the mixer? And chocolate buttercream is just the stuff dreams are made of. I could live on it.
    =)

31. My favorite is peanut butter buttercream on chocolate cake. Mmmmmmm!

32. My favorite frosting of all time would be chocolate mousse frosting. We make it using bittersweet chocolate, which helps cut the sweetness of the frosting and the cake.

33. The one frosting that I have ever truely liked was this cream cheese frosting I had on my graduation cake this year. The cake came from Nothing but Bundts and it was so delicious. It was soft, creamy, tangy, and a little sweet. I’m more of a rich type of girl than a sweet kind of girl. I like the idea of buttercream, but usually the powdered sugar in the recipe over powers the frosting itself and it makes it taste way too sweet I think.

34. that photo is insanely amazing!!! wow, i love buttercream…too much…too much:)

35. Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl says:

Hi Peabody,

Can I comment but not be part of the contest? I have about a zillion pastry bags. However, I felt the need to comment because I stinking love your blog and have read it for years, but have only commented a handful of times and I am sorry about that (I did vote for your BH&G container garden religiously–does that count?). Anyways, you deserve 1000 comments on each post because you are frackin hilarious and make delicious recipes and brighten the world with your buttercream visions (every single Peabody recipe I have made has been a success). Happy Birthday to your dear old blog and thank you so much. :)

36. Nutella frosting!

37. Jessyca says:

My favorite buttercream EVER is Kaye’s Buttercream by the Whimsical Bakehouse. 6 sticks of butter, 12 egg whites and sugar makes this silky, light, heavenly confection that I just want to eat out of the bowl! Love it!

38. I love *LOVE* salted caramel buttercream. LOVE :) Have also always wanted a decorating bag to make the salted caramel buttercream actually look as good as it tastes :)

39. I love “birthday cake” icing (at least that is what I call it) made with gobs of Crisco, powdered sugar, butter flavoring and a couple more things I can’t think of.
    I could certainly use some pastry bags to pipe it onto cakes!

40. Darlene says:

Cream cheese frosting that is made with enough icing sugar that it can be piped on. LOTS of sugar. Oh, and with almond flavouring too.

41. Asking me to choose my favorite frosting is like asking Michelle Dugger to choose her favorite child–so many to choose from ! My top 3 are:
    chocolate cream cheese, White Russian cream cheese (Peabody, I hope you can sleep at night knowing that your recipe cause an increase in the mass of my ass), or peppermint vanilla buttercream.

42. I love cannoli frosting!!!

43. Do I have to pick just ONE favorite frosting? I have three! Homemade coconut pecan…cream cheese…and cooked fudge frosting. Just not all at once ;-)

44. Plain ol vanilla – yum!

45. My favorite frosting is chocolate ganache!!! or chocolate fudge frosting. Rich and decadent is my criterion :)

46. Christine says:

Vanilla Buttercream and Cream Cheese Frosting!

47. My Mom’s mocha buttercream was the BEST-she and my Grandmother put it on their cakes and brownies. They have both passed away and I am still trying to perfect it!

48. I love classic chocolate buttercream but swiss meringue is up there as well!

49. Whipped cream frosting! If there even is such a thing.

50. I make a fabulous peanut butter buttercream. I’m such a sucker for PB :)