Major MIA. My life has kind of been out of the Twilight Zone this last week but we are rounding out to normal again…I think. Here’s what we’ve been up to.
Hockey is back…there’s MDP and I playing defense together. Our goalie wore a camera through the game.
Though sometimes when you play hockey the puck likes to hit you back from all the times you hit it. MDP got 6 stitches…making 71 total in his face…in his lifetime so far. The team has taken to calling him Hockey Potter as the cut if you look real careful is in the shape of a lightning bolt. If you are a stickler and a major HP nerd, we are aware that the bolt is in the wrong direction.
If you send me a free cookbook about cupcakes and parties that includes sprinkles AND a plastic pink ballerina you are going to get a shout out on this blog even if I haven’t made anything from it yet. It totally just perked up my day when I got it. They are local peeps so I know their cupcakes are yummy…they have a Snickerdoodle one so right away I loved them.
Lots of people have asked about how Crazy Cocker Spaniel is doing. Hanging in there. She had a little limp the other day and is in desperate need of a teeth cleaning but other than that grown old gracefully. Well not gracefully. Here she is with her “twin”. It’s a stuffed animal my former MIL found a few years back. I’m always in awe how alike they look.
So the first photo is of applesauce, hopefully you got that. You will want to make it in order to make the recipe that is coming up next. It comes from Alton Brown. When I first read it was made in a microwave and in only 10 minutes I kind of stuck my foodie nose in the air. Yeah, it’s pretty much the only way we make applesauce now. Luckily living in Washington State we have our pick at what type of apples we want. I made mine with some Organic Local Grown Galas that were on super sale but use whatever apple you want to use. This is not super sweet, so you may want to add more sugar if that is your preference or do what my mother always did which was put brown sugar (just like in my photo) on top.
- 6 Gala apples (or apple of your choice), peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 cup apple cider (preferably fresh this time of year)
- 2 TBSP cognac (try not to skip it really does add something)
- 2 TBSP butter
- 3 -6 TBSP honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- In a sealable microwave-safe container, combine apples with all other ingredients. Close lid, leaving one corner of lid open to allow steam to escape. If you do not have a microwave safe container that has a lid use a microwave safe glass bowl and use press and seal plastic wrap…I do this it works fine.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Add to the food processor and pulse until you reach desired consistency. You can do this with a hand blender or with a potato masher as well. I like my applesauce to be a little chunky but you make it to your liking.
- If you are serving with savory food I like it best warm (we had ours with pork). Otherwise store in the fridge for a few hours to cool down.
- [http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/10-minute-apple-sauce-recipe/index.html]Adapted from Alton Brown Food Network
*please note this post contains an Amazon Affiliate link. Pin It